About the Exhibition
Empires rise and fall, but one title has always reigned strong in Milwaukee: “Brew City.” Since statehood, beer has played an integral role in the growth of Wisconsin industry while bringing Milwaukee national fame. What might be less obvious, but no less important, was the profound role that rail transportation played in this story. To shine a light on both, the Center for Railroad Photography & Art curated the touring exhibition Milwaukee’s Beer Line, which narrates the rise, fall, and rise again of Milwaukee’s beer industry through the eyes of the Milwaukee Road’s Beer Line.
The photographs from the show come from the Center’s Wallace W. Abbey Collection. During the 1950s Abbey was an associate editor for Trains magazine, the nation’s foremost railroad magazine. With offices located in downtown Milwaukee, the Beer Line became a natural subject of interest.
Following the theme of the exhibition and to reach new demographics, the Center primarily traveled the show at Wisconsin breweries. Originally commissioned by the East Troy Electric Railroad Museum, the exhibition continued on to several breweries in the Madison area before debuting in its namesake city at Lakefront Brewery. The show chronicles the history of the railroad’s role in the growth of Milwaukee’s beer industry and depicts how major Milwaukee breweries used the Beer Line to supply Milwaukeeans and beyond with their beloved brews.
About the Exhibition
- 12 black-and-white prints
- 16×20 inches, matted and framed
- 6 panel and 12 exhibition labels
- 90 linear feet, total
To book a showing or get more information, get in touch with the Center at 608-251-5785 or send an email to info [at] railphoto-art [dot] org.
- Connector Building on the Beer Line Trail, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 2023 to August 2024
- Pilot Project Brewing, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, January 23 to February 15, 2023
- National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wisconsin, January 28, 2022 to January 1, 2023
- Fitchburg Senior Center, Fitchburg, Wisconsin
- Right Bauer Brewing, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, October 1, 2019 to January 2, 2020
- ABA National Brewery Museum, Potosi Brewery, Potosi, Wisconsin, April 23 to September 30, 2019
- Capital Brewery, Middleton, Wisconsin, February 5 to March 5, 2019
- Sun Prairie Public Library, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, December 10, 2018 through January 31, 2019
- Good City Brewing, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 5 through March 1, 2018
- Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, November 30 2017 through February 5, 2018
- Grumpy Troll Brew Pub, Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, October 23 through November 27, 2017
- Octopi Brewing, Waunakee, Wisconsin, September 29 through October 23, 2017
- East Troy Electric Railroad Museum, East Troy, Wisconsin, August 25 through September 29, 2017